Subject: Fwd: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] QUESTION: ACI DTD and conformance

All --

Here are Dave's thoughts.  Dave drafted the sections of Ch.9, and (IIRC) was the drafter/author of the similar conformance/DOCTYPE stuff in Ch.4.

(Note.  I'm going to transfer this item over to the WG shortly, and over there I'll ask Dave to draft the fix-it text for Ch.9, incl. his recommended public ID bit).

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:25:03 -0700
From: David Cruikshank <dvdcruikshank@gmail.com>
To: Lofton Henderson <lofton@rockynet.com>

Lofton,

I can't cc the TC, but here are my thoughts.

concerning the question related to #4...I think in 9.2.2 when we say:

"A file is a conforming WebCGM 2.1 ACI document if it adheres to the specifications described in this (WebCGM 2.1) document, including those in the WebCGM 2.1 ACI DTD"

We are sort of implying that the document is a valid document. i.e.-the difference between a well-formed document and valid document.  putting the DOCTYPE in the instance really insures that it can be parsed as valid, as opposed to well-formed.

9.2.2 doesn't require the existence of the DOCTYPE, but it does require that a conforming document parse correctly against the Webcgm config DTD.  Well-formed alone doesn't insure that.

I think we probably should have a public identifier like we do for the XCF DTD.  Otherwise you probably should deliver a config dtd with every set of data.

Just my thoughts.

Dave