Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] setRedraw002: 'add' or 'addHighlight'?

We do addHighlight.

Wow, don't know if I missed this... or if I voted against it and lost
the vote... I'd prefer 'addHighlight' over 'add'... but since the
wording has been like that since Oct 2006, I don't have much of an
argument.

I'll include two additional keywords to our implementation: add and new.

Benoit

-----Original Message-----
From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 12:33 PM
To: CGM Open WebCGM TC
Subject: [cgmo-webcgm] setRedraw002: 'add' or 'addHighlight'?

Implementors --

At least one implementation does this ('add' vs. 'addHighlight') wrong.
Or at least an early-2009 version did it wrong.  Please check your
implementation.

All --

It has been asserted that setRedraw002 might be wrong:

>[...]
>setRedraw002 ... I think the test is invalid. What was the agreement
>again about the keywords, add or addHighlight?

There was some discussion about this in January (mostly in the WG).  It
is a slightly confusing situation, but (IMHO) the 2.0 standard is
clearly specified (as is 2.1).  Here is my research and my conclusions.

2.0 SPEC:
-----
First, here is what the 2-1/2 year-old 2.0 spec says (and 2.1 spec as
well):

>Ch.3 "IC" normative spec:  the keywords in fragment are newHighlight
>and addHighlight.  If you generate a URI fragment (in a CGM-to-CGM
>link, in a HTML-to-CGM link, etc) with highlight controls, you use
those keywords.

>Ch.5 "DOM" normative spec:  if you want to control highlighting through

>a DOM highlight() call, you use 'new' and 'add'.
>
>As long as you follow the 2.0 specification for highlighting in
>fragments, and follow the 2.0 specification for highlighting via DOM
>highlight() calls, everything is fine, as long as your viewer has
>correctly implemented the specification.

setRedraw002 test (.htm):
-----
It uses 'add' in its highlight() method call, consistent with the 2.0
spec.

WG Resolution:
-----
[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcgm-wg/2009Jan/0028.html

Since I find nothing more in the archive about this topic, I assume the
resolution is "no change to 2.0 spec".  (Else, we would have had to
generate a 2.0 erratum, yes?)

Conclusion:
-----
If one uses the DOM highlight() method, the parameter value to use is
'add'.  On the other hand, if one embeds object behavior keywords into a
URI fragment (i.e., #webcgm-fragment-stuff), the keyword is
'addHighlight'.

Thought or comments?