Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Navigation to an invisible object

Benoit, All --

I pondered similar questions, about the no-highlighting restriction for
invisible objects.

I'm guessing, but cannot point to firm evidence, that we discussed it
during 2.0 development and that it was intentional -- the logic might have
been that visibility setting (on/off) should have higher priority than a
highlighting request.  (And a highlighting request should not have the side
effect of toggling explicit 'off' visibility back to 'on'.)

It can be argued either way, and (IMO) neither choice is obviously right or
wrong.

If the TC decides that it now wants to make an exception for highlighting
keywords in Object Behaviors, so that abc.cgm#id(myId,addHighlight) will
highlight an invisible object, then peripheral questions to answer would
be:  should this result in a clarifying erratum for 2.0?  Or is it new
functionality (changed behavior) for 2.1?

Also, what about the highlight() DOM method?  Suppose...

myObj.setAppStructureAttr('visibility', 'off')
highlight(myObj-as-a-nodelist, 'add')

Does the highlight have priority and override the invisibility request,
i.e., does highlighting have the side effect of toggling visibility 'on'
for invisible objects?  Or is the highlight request saved until visibility
is explicitly turned on?  Or...?

-Lofton.