Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] SVG in IE9: was WebCGM TC working session added

Benoit,  All --

Thanks for the heads up.  Indeed, it is something to think about.

IMHO, this could either be good for SVG or bad for SVG.  Or it could be
irrelevant to SVG-vs-WebCGM choice decisions in WebCGM's typical
application sectors.

How could it be bad for SVG?  I just took a look at your second reference
(below), and spaced down reading all of the SVG comments.  Including the
implementation limitations, performance, etc.  It is a fairly restricted
subset (that is not completely spelled out), and admits to "performance
work ... not yet complete", especially on large complex graphics from CAD,
GIS, etc.

If MS becomes a team player, throws lots of resources at it, and someone
comes up with a strict profile for technical applications, it could become
a very attractive choice.  Following are some of my thoughts copied from an
earlier dialog I had on this subject...

==== start ====
>But let me play devil's advocate. Microsoft SVG support in IE could
>actually be the *worst* thing that happens to SVG. In the past, MS has
>shown a tendency to put out its own dialect of graphics standards and not
>worry about what is the accurate dialect (according to SVG or CGM or ...
>conformance rules). Long ago (1990's) MS licensed a CGM filter from my
>company HSI. They did it as a checklist item, and wouldn't take a
>maintenance upgrade to fix some problems even when I offered it for free.
>So MS-CGM became a broken dialect of CGM.
>
>If they take the same attitude on SVG, or the typical MS attitude of
>"MS-SVG is the definitive SVG", then there will be problems. Either the
>rest of the SVG world tries to change MS, or the rest of the world changes
>to match MS. Either way, there are years of confusion and adjustments.
>
>Maybe MS will surprise me and be a humble team player on SVG. I'll believe
>it when I see it.
>
>MS aside, if you follow the dialogs on the SVG list, you'll see that there
>are still many discussions about "browser ABC and browser XYZ have
>different results on test 'blah'". The good thing on the lists is that
>there are smart people working on it earnestly. And there is a lot of
>energy in the IG. But still, SVG is such a huge complicated standard (even
>Tiny is huge), that this can be expected to go on for years.  (To be fair,
>we have some uniformity issues on WebCGM 2.0 and 2.1, and this
>interoperability topic should be a key part of our program of work going
>forward.

Other thoughts?

-Lofton.