Subject: Problem with OBJECT and PARAM tags

Hi All,

It has come to our attention that IE has a limitation related to the <object> ‘data’ attribute and <PARAM> elements. Our implementation (COleControl ActiveX) is passed in corrupted data when both the ‘data’ attribute is specified on the <object> tag and when <PARAM> elements are also specified.

According to Microsoft, HTML 4 doesn’t state that an implementation (of HTML) has to pass all values (‘data’ attribute, <PARAM>s) simultaneously to the ActiveX. Either ‘data’ without <PARAM> is used; or <PARAM>s without the ‘data’ attribute is used.

Which means that WebCGM’s example (shown below) doesn’t work with a standard ActiveX implementation:

<script type="application/ecmascript"> <![CDATA[
function myHandler(evt)
{
// performs DOM manipulation calls...
}
]]>
</script>
[...]

<object data=""xxx.cgm"" type="image/cgm;Version=4;ProfileId=WebCGM"
                       width="200" height="100">
  <param name="onload" value="myHandler(evt);"/>
</object>

Are other Windows vendors aware of this? Do other vendors use DoPropExchange to get the <PARAM>s?

There is possibly a workaround that can be implemented in ActiveX implementation (not tested yet), but that being said, maybe we want to put some thoughts in how to use the OBJECT tag in a properly supported IE way.

Regards,

Benoit