Subject: RE: re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] Problem with OBJECT and PARAM tags

Lofton,

Saying **did not work** is a bit strong. I’m certain I tried that sample in our viewer before publishing it. What we heard from Microsoft is that sometimes the ‘data’ attribute value and the PARAMs will get corrupted. I’m referring here to an ActiveX DoPropExchange approach.

One work around, could be for implementations to use the HTML parsing interface available in IE. We haven’t looked into that yet. I first wanted to bring up the fact that WebCGM 1.0 (first edition) to WebCGM 2.1 suggests (or mandates) an technique not officially supported by IE (if ActiveX DoPropExchange is used, which I suspect is what most implementations do).

Another approach could be to standardize <PARAM name=”SRC” value=”myfile.cgm”>?

Benoit

From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 2:54 PM
To: cgmo-webcgm@lists.oasis-open.org

It seems that several (at least 2) people didn't use the 'data' attribute of the OBJECT tag, and used a proprietary solution of a 'src' PARAM instead.  But no one raised the issue that 'data' **did not work** in IE if used together with a PARAM.  I.e., that the example in 3.4 doesn't work in IE.

Don, you mention "src=""" in the 1.0 tests.  From memory and a quick look, this is a "src="..."" attribute on an html FRAME tag.  Do you see it used anywhere else?  Are you referring to the dynamic tests in the 1.0 Test Suite, or rather to the Static tests that were added to the 2.0 Test Suite (which use a DOM interface to load the CGM).  AFAICT, the OBJECT element is not used anywhere in the 1.0 test suite.  Am I missing something?

Benoit correctly observes, "We will need suggestions on how to move forward with this."

-Lofton.

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/cgmo-webcgm/200604/msg00053.html

At 12:15 PM 6/1/2010 -0500, Don Larson wrote:

Lofton,
 >  +1 to Benoit's question.
 >
 >  Could we now please hear from everyone who has experience with this issue?
 >  Vendors and users?
 >
 >  It appears that we are going to need to find a way forward -- either a
 >  workaround, or a quick addendum to the standard, or cascaded profile, or
 >
 >  Don, is there a reason that you choose 'src' as the param name? I have
 >  seen it used before in proprietary extensions. (Maybe it is just the
 >  obvious choice, but I'm wondering if it shows up in any published
 >  examples.)

We have used SRC starting with our first WebCGM 1.0 implementation
since what works on all the WebCGM 1.0 and 2.0 tests too.

It's interesting to note that all of the WebCGM 1.0 tests use src= "to" pass
the cgm file name and not 'data'.

I have always though that SRC was a valid PARAM keyword in WebCGM 1.0 but
after quick reivew of the 1.0 spec, I see that I was mistaken.
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-WebCGM/REC-03-CGM-IC.html#webcgm_3_4

Don.