Subject: Issue: Attribute Multiplicity

CGM open members --

Here is a WebCGM clarification issue which might be a little more
controversial than the set of editorial/routine comments in my previous
mail.   WebCGM 1.0 Release 2 ought to clarify these points.

CLARIFICATION/ISSUE.  Multiplicity of APS attributes.  Which ones can be
multiple?  I thought we went through all of them and indicated in the spec,
single/multiple in each subsection 3.2.2.1 - 3.2.2.8.  But the following
five APS attributes do not state explicitly.  In parentheses, I have
indicated what I recall from earlier discussion, and/or recommend.

Region (recall/recommend:  single).
ViewContext (recall/recommend:  single)
LayerName (recall/recommend:  single).
LayerDescription (recall/recommend:  single).
Name (recall/recommend:  multiple).

For reference, the spec is explicit about:

single:  ScreenTip, Content.
multiple:  linkURI

Note:  I understand the arguments against multiple attribute occurrences
(such a CGM is not expressible in XML).  But I don't think we can can fix
this in Release 2, certainly not if ProfileEd remains as 1.0.  There is
legacy content using it.  Rather, we need to address it in ProfileEd 2.0 or
1.1 or ...  For example, we could allow multiplicity as a list within the
SDR, and deprecate multiple occurrences.

Regards,
Lofton.

Lofton Henderson
1919 Fourteenth St., #604