Subject: Re: Who Understands...?

Lofton,

> Since these are specifications about how to write OBJECT tags to refer to
> WebCGM, I guess we shouldn't be using "shall" in this section, right?
>
> I.e., we are not writing conformance statements for HTML content, are
> we?  Rather, we are recommending how HTML should be written to work best
> with WebCGM?
>
> (Hmmmm... since it is a W3C Rec, I guess we *could* [in theory] write
> strict statements, because HTML is also under the W3C umbrella.  But I
> don't think I want to go there!)

Very interesting aspect. In fact we should write it for information purposes
only because we simply mention a way that could be used to place a WebCGM on
an HTML page. As far as I remember we don't prohibit the usage of the
"embed" tag in any place, so the OBJECT tag isn't mandatory anyway.
So I think we shouldn't be using "shall" and should be using "should" here.

Dieter