Subject: fixing 3.1.2.2, picture behaviors

Dave (et al),

3.1.2.2 is the only substantial unfinished business for WebCGM 1.0 Release
2, right?

Let's have some feedback and discussion from all of you members, esp
implementors/vendors, on this strawman for repairing it.  Then we can be
done with Release 2.

Regards,
Lofton.
Title: W3C QA Workshop Submission

Fixing 3.1.2.2, Picture Behaviors

The language in 3.1.2.2 is a mess. There are unspoken assumptions about source and target formats (CGM or HTML), and that raises questions about the cases where the formats are not as assumed. I tried to come up with some well-defined specification of all cases.

Here is a table of all the "picture behavior" keywords, in different source-to-destination types for links. Currently there are no restrictions on which behaviors can be used. Unless we intend to specify such, we need to make sure that the behavior is well defined for all combinations.

Notes:

  1. I use "document" for HTML, "picture" for CGM.
  2. The entry in quotes in each row is the verbatim text from WebCGM (with "shall" replacing "should"). I have put it where it seems most applicable.
  3. The only significant changes are R4 (Row 4), C1 and C2. Otherwise I have just substituted "document" for "picture", or vice-versa.
  4. While the means of achieving the specified action might be unclear (how do browser and WebCGM viewer interact to achieve the desired effect?), it seems to me that the cases are all well specified and achievable now. Agreed?
  5. If that's the case, then the text in 3.1.2.2 could be minimally repaired by substituting "source (picture or document)" or "target (picture or document)" in all of the appropriate places. And adding caveat to "_replace" (same as _self), if either source or destination is not CGM.
  6. More verbosely, we could just put this table in there (there is a lot of redundancy in the table).
Picture behaviors and different source-to-destination types.
  H-to-C

C-to-H

C-to-C
_blank The viewer shall load the designated picture in a new, unnamed window. "The viewer shall load the designated document in a new, unnamed window." The viewer shall load the designated picture in a new, unnamed window.
_self The viewer shall load the picture in the same frame as the one containing the document that refers to this target. "The viewer shall load the document in the same frame as the one containing the CGM picture that refers to this target." The viewer shall load the picture in the same frame as the one containing the CGM picture that refers to this target.
_parent The viewer shall load the picture into the immediate FRAMESET parent of the current frame in which the current picture is displayed. This value is equivalent to "_self" if the current frame has no parent. "The viewer shall load the document into the immediate FRAMESET parent of the current frame in which the current picture is displayed. This value is equivalent to "_self" if the current frame has no parent."

"The viewer shall load the picture into the immediate FRAMESET parent of the current frame in which the current picture is displayed. This value is equivalent to "_self" if the current frame has no parent."

_replace As _self (_replace was invented by WebCGM for C-to-C cases.) As _self (_replace was invented by WebCGM for C-to-C cases.) "The viewer shall replace the current CGM picture by the designated CGM picture in the same rectangular area in the same frame as the picture which refers to this target. This is the default behavior."
_top The viewer shall load the picture into the full, original window (thus canceling all other frames). This value is equivalent to _self if the current frame has no parent. "The viewer shall load the document into the full, original window (thus canceling all other frames). This value is equivalent to _self if the current frame has no parent." The viewer shall load the picture into the full, original window (thus canceling all other frames). This value is equivalent to _self if the current frame has no parent.

Lofton Henderson
1919 Fourteenth St., #604
Boulder, CO   80302

Phone:  303-449-8728