Subject: Re: fixing 3.1.2.2, picture behaviors

Dieter,

Your pseudo-code confirms the sort of mechanism that I expected must be at
work for plugin-browser interfaces:  on C2C where the CGM viewer cannot
handle (i.e., some picture behavior other than _self or _replace), the
viewer hands the navigation request plus behavior (TARGET) back to the browser.

I have included your entire message below, let me make a couple of
observations about bits and pieces.

First, in the context of C2C links:
### begin excerpt ###
     {
        it will extract the picture behavior;
        if the picture behavior is not _self and
                                    not _replace and
                                    not the default behavior then
        {
             /* which would all point to a situation where the cgm
              * viewer replaces the currently displayed cgm with
              * another one in its own rectangle
              */
             it will call the HTML browser and pass on the following
             information:
             href="linkuri including fragment, but without pic behavior"
             target="pic behavior"
             /* so the cgm viewer mimics the information that is found
              * within a "normal" href inside HTML.
              */
        }
        else[...]
### end excerpt ###

To begin, understand that I'm *not* recommending, regarding H2C links (yes,
H2C), that we try to support the use of pic behavior in "#" fragments
instead of the more sensible TARGET attribute.  However, the point I'm
trying to make is that there is no technical reason that we could not do
so.  If TARGET were default (_self), and there were some behavior like
_parent in the fragment, then here's how it would work.  The viewer would
be called; would see that it couldn't handle the navigation request by
itself; and would turn around and call the browser, as in above
pseudo-code, to handle the request.

Technically, it is perfectly possible to use pic behav the "#" fragment in
H2C links.  We are making the choice that it is bad practice, and therefore
should be proscribed for H2C links.  Which choice I agree with.  (One
question I have not completely thought through:  are there any scenarios of
non-CGM to CGM links, where non-CGM is *not* HTML, which we are overlooking
and which should be supportable under WebCGM 1.0?  I.e., a link sequence
like HTML-to-OTHER-to-CGM?)

Additional comment about above pseudo-code:  'href="linkuri including
fragment, but without pic behavior"'.  This presumes our decision to
proscribe the use of "#" fragment, correct?

Okay, where are we?  Back to the 3-point summary from yesterday's mail:

Conclusion:
1.  deprecate the usage of picture behavior inside the fragment
2.  allow for usage of 3rd param also in CGM cases (3.2.2.3, 5th p)
3.  Instruct users to use the TARGET statement when doing H2C

There is apparently no objection to implementing this.  So now what are the
editorial directives for Dave?

**Do we try to work on some variant of the table that I offered?  according
to #3 above, the first column does disappear:  links from non-CGM into CGM
use TARGET instead of fragment for picture behavior.

**Or, do we simply try to clarify the language per this long dialog?

**Must edit 3.2.2.5 5th pgph to allow 3rd parameter in C2C case, and
deprecate the fragment.

**Need to edit the examples, per your email of yesterday.

-Lofton.