Subject: Re: editing -- oops, correction

At 06:38 PM 4/10/01 +0200, Dieter Weidenbrueck wrote:
>[...]
>I am not sure whether this change would be correct.
>
>pictseqno is a keyword, whereas picseqno is just a placeholder for a
>character between '0' and '9'. It would have been less confusing to choose a
>different expression for this, but I think it is correct.
>
>[...]

I think the change is correct, but the wording of the sections is poor (who
wrote this stuff?!):

The title of the section is:  "3.1.2.1  Picture Selection
Keywords".  Clearly, in 1st paragraph 'pictid' is the keyword.  The
paragraph talks about its value, which is the "id" of the picture.  To be
consistent, the 2nd pgph should start with the keyword, 'pictseqno'.

Okay, in theory we could change the 1st paragraph, change the section
title, etc.  But I think it is bad practice to be talking in the text about
intermediate, non-terminal productions in the BNF -- the "placeholder" as
you call it.

So let's reword to remove all ambiguity:

### begin ###
pictid - The pictid [Ed: use same font as 1st word] keyword indicates that
selection of the picture to be viewed is by the id of the picture, which is
the id parameter in the BEGIN PICTURE element. The picture id value is the
first, required parameter associated with the keyword (see EBNF), and there
may be a second associated parameter, which is an optional picture behavior
specification.  If the metafile does not contain a picture with the
specified picture id value, the first picture in the metafile is chosen.

pictseqno - The pictseqno [Ed: use same font as 1st word] keyword indicates
that selection of the picture to be viewed is by the sequence number of the
picture in the metafile. "1" is the first picture, "2" is the second
picture, etc. The picture sequence number value is the first, required
parameter associated with the keyword (see EBNF), and there may be a second
associated parameter, whose value is an optional picture behavior
specification.  If the specified picture sequence number value exceeds the
number of pictures in the metafile, the last picture is displayed.
### end ###

Now, the use of "1" (instead of 1) made me look back to the EBNF.  We
already have a bug fix to the [0-9]+, to prevent the value 0 (ZERO).  So
how about this:

picseqno ::= (non-zero-digit)(digit)*
[...]
non-zero-digit ::= "1" | ... | "9"
digit ::= "0" | digit

Of course, this prevents you from writing picture sequence numbers with
leading zeros, "001".  Does anyone care?  If someone objects to this
change, then we can leave it as (digit)+ (which is better, I think, than
[0-9]+), and add to the 3.1.2.1, before the "exceeds number of pictures"
sentence, "The specified picture sequence number value shall be positive."

Please comment:  option 1 (enforce positive via EBNF change, which has the
"no leading" ); or, option 2 (enforce positive via words in 3.1.2.1).

Or option 3:  (digit)*(non-zero-digit)(digit)*   (BNF expression for
positive, leading zeros allowed!).

All,
-Lofton.