Subject: RE: editing -- oops, correction

At 03:13 PM 4/10/01 -0700, Cruikshank, David W wrote:
>However picseqno was already changed in the current errata from "[0-9]+"
>to "[1-9][0-9]*".  Do we need to go back and undo this??
>[...]
> > I too am leaning toward option 2 also...any others?

Dave,

The problem I have now with the [1-9][0-9]* is this:  it isn't obvious to
me that that expression, if placed in the EBNF, designates the digit
characters -- a string is required at that place in the fragment -- as
opposed to a binary numeric value (for example).  It is probably okay, but
I'm too tired of this to think it through.  On the other hand, I know that
(digit)* represents a string.

So I think this will all comments -- you, Dieter, Harry, me:

1. use my earlier proposed revised wording for pictid,
2. use (digit)+ instead of [1-9]+ or [1-9][0-9]*.
3. for pictseqno paragraph, use this slight modification of my earlier
proposal (handles positive, allows leading zeros):

pictseqno - The pictseqno [Ed: use same font as 1st word] keyword indicates
that selection of the picture to be viewed is by the sequence number of the
picture in the metafile. "1" is the first picture, "2" is the second
picture, etc. An all-digit string representing the picture sequence number
value is the first, required parameter associated with the keyword (see
EBNF), and there may be a second associated parameter, whose value is an
optional picture behavior specification.  The picture sequence number value
shall be positive. If the specified picture sequence value exceeds the
number of pictures in the metafile, the last picture is displayed.

I don't expect any objections -- this accommodates everyone's first choice.

-Lofton.