Subject: WebCGM Question

CGM Open Members,

I'd like your feedback ASAP -- in case there is still some contradiction or
ambiguity in the WebCGM Second Release text, we have a chance to fix it
before WebCGM is published (but this might happen very soon!)

I have a WebCGM question, that has come up during the writing of the test
suite.  The text of the spec does not help a lot, for example the examples
of 3.1.3 imply some behaviors, and the bullet list at the end of 3.2.1
implies different ones.

All WebCGM pictures are required to be 'metric'.  Under what conditions
should a WebCGM picture be rescaled for display?  Here are some cases to
illustrate the question:

1. A frameset in a HTML document contains a frame definition:  <frame
src="myWebCGM.cgm">.  Is the webcgm picture to be initially displayed at
correct scale, or is it scaled to fit within the frame?  E.g., if the
drawing is 1m square, is it scaled down for initial display in the frame?

2. A WebCGM instance in a frame contains a hyperlink (linkURI) to another
WebCGM instance, whole-picture, no object selection or identification (and
no object behaviors, no view_context, etc).  Same question as #1 -- is the
initial view of the 2nd WebCGM drawn in the frame/window at correct scale,
or is it scaled to fit?  (I don't believe that it has an effect, but does
the answer depend upon _self, _replace, _blank, or 'target' picture behavior?)

3. A WebCGM instance in a frame references an object in another WebCGM
instance, _self, no object behavior.  Same question -- rescale target
picture to fit, or draw at correct scale (w/ target object visible)?

4. The only behavior which unambiguously specifies any re-scale is
view_context -- fit it to display window/frame.  (I think some re-scaling
potential is strongly implied for highlight_all as well.)

As I mentioned at the start, the examples of 3.1.3 (and figures 3.1 and
3.2) imply one way:  there is an implication of scale-to-fit, such as in
the words "The entire picture is displayed..." in the first example.   On
the other hand, the 3 bullets at the end of 3.2.1.1 seem clear, in its use
of "move into view" -- preserve proper scale, and move the object into view.

Does the answer differ for whole-picture addressing and object addressing?

So ... what's the answer and what have vendors implemented?

-Lofton.

Lofton Henderson
1919 Fourteenth St., #604
Boulder, CO   80302