Subject: Re: WebCGM preview

Lofton,

I looked at the two paras and compared them. Here is the result:

Table of Object Behaviors, compiled from 3.1.2.4. and 3.2.1.1.

Attributes:

Fragments:

Object has

and

#myObj
(default behavior)

#id(myObj,view_context)

#id(myObj,highlight)

#id(myObj,highlight_all)

view_context

region

zoom to view_context rectangle (3.2.1.1.)

zoom to view_context AND highlight (3.1.2.4.)

shrink to fit and highlight first object (3.1.2.4.)

shrink to fit and highlight all objects (3.1.2.4.)

view_context

no region

zoom to view_context rectangle (3.2.1.1.)

zoom to view_context AND highlight (3.1.2.4.)

shrink to fit and highlight first object (3.1.2.4.)

shrink to fit and highlight all objects (3.1.2.4.)

no view_context

region

"move" object into view (3.2.1.1.)

same as #id(myObj,highlight) (3.1.2.4.)

shrink to fit and highlight first object (3.1.2.4.)

shrink to fit and highlight all objects (3.1.2.4.)

no view_context

no region

"move" object into view and highlight in some way (3.2.1.1.)

same as #id(myObj,highlight) (3.1.2.4.)

shrink to fit and highlight first object (3.1.2.4.)

shrink to fit and highlight all objects (3.1.2.4.)

3.2.1.1. defines the default behavior only, it doesn’t apply as soon as the fragment contains a specific object behavior.

Object behaviors in general

I suggest we understand the behaviors as follows:

-        if view_context is used the intention is to NAVIGATE TO the object. In my humble opinion this means to move the object(s) into view and zoom into the illustration to make them the dominant part of the viewer rectangle. If the object has a view_context attribute this is what happens, however, if there is no view_context attribute I suggest we keep the behavior as close as possible to the one using a view_context.

-        If highlight (highlight_all) is used the intention is to SHOW the object(s) and visually discriminate it (them) from others.

 The following table shows in red the suggested changes.

Attributes:

Fragments:

Object has

and

#myObj
(default behavior)

#id(myObj,view_context)

#id(myObj,highlight)

#id(myObj,highlight_all)

view_context

region

zoom to view_context rectangle (3.2.1.1.)

zoom to view_context AND flash (3.1.2.4.)

shrink to fit and highlight first object (3.1.2.4.)

shrink to fit and highlight all objects (3.1.2.4.)

view_context

no region

zoom to view_context rectangle (3.2.1.1.)

zoom to view_context AND flash (3.1.2.4.)

shrink to fit and highlight first object (3.1.2.4.)

shrink to fit and highlight all objects (3.1.2.4.)

no view_context

region

Zoom to object region such that the region fills a significant part of the viewer rectangle (3.2.1.1.)

Zoom to object region such that the region fills a significant part of the viewer rectangle and flash region (3.1.2.4.)

shrink to fit and highlight first object (3.1.2.4.)

shrink to fit and highlight all objects (3.1.2.4.)

no view_context

no region

Zoom to object primitives such that the enclosing rectangle fills a significant part of the viewer rectangle (3.2.1.1.)

Zoom to object primitives such that the enclosing rectangle fills a significant part of the viewer rectangle and flash region (3.1.2.4.).

shrink to fit and highlight first object (3.1.2.4.)

shrink to fit and highlight all objects (3.1.2.4.)

This would accomplish the following:

-        remove differences between default behavior and view_context behavior. 3.2.1.1. could actually point to 3.1.2.4 from then on

-        clarify the “move into view” expression in 3.2.1.1

The term "flash" suggests some kind of highlighting different to the one used in the "highlight" cases.

Let me know what you think,

Dieter