Subject: Re: WebCGM preview

Lofton,

I hate to come up with major changes at this point, it just shows that I should have thought about it earlier. So here is another table proposing the minimal changes that make sense.
We definitely need to apply changes to make 3.2.1.1. and 3.1.2.4. consistent, one way or the other.

As far as IsoView is concerned I can still change the implementation to whatever comes out of this discussion. I can go either way without problem. However, I see Harry's good comments, and I know that some of the current definitions will at least disappoint users.

So here goes:

 Table of current Object Behaviors, compiled from 3.1.2.4. and 3.2.1.1.

Attributes:

Fragments:

Object has

and

#myObj
(default behavior)

#id(myObj,view_context)

#id(myObj,highlight)

#id(myObj,highlight_all)

view_context

region

zoom to view_context rectangle (3.2.1.1.)

zoom to view_context AND highlight (3.1.2.4.)

full-picture view and highlight first object (3.1.2.4.)

full-picture view and highlight all objects (3.1.2.4.)

view_context

no region

zoom to view_context rectangle (3.2.1.1.)

zoom to view_context AND highlight (3.1.2.4.)

full-picture view and highlight first object (3.1.2.4.)

full-picture view and highlight all objects (3.1.2.4.)

no view_context

region

"move" object into view (3.2.1.1.)

same as #id(myObj,highlight) (3.1.2.4.)

full-picture view and highlight first object (3.1.2.4.)

full-picture view and highlight all objects (3.1.2.4.)

no view_context

no region

"move" object into view and highlight in some way (3.2.1.1.)

full-picture view

same as #id(myObj,highlight) (3.1.2.4.)

full-picture view and highlight first object (3.1.2.4.)

full-picture view and highlight all objects (3.1.2.4.)

 3.2.1.1. defines the default behavior only, it doesn’t apply as soon as the fragment contains a specific object behavior.

 Proposed changes (changes in red, comment numbers in blue):

Attributes:

Fragments:

Object has

and

#myObj
(default behavior)

#id(myObj,view_context)

#id(myObj,highlight)

#id(myObj,highlight_all)

view_context

region

zoom to view_context rectangle and highlight (3.2.1.1.) (1)

zoom to view_context AND highlight (3.1.2.4.)

full-picture view and highlight first object (3.1.2.4.)

full-picture view and highlight all objects (3.1.2.4.)

view_context

no region

zoom to view_context rectangle and highlight (3.2.1.1.)

(1)

zoom to view_context AND highlight (3.1.2.4.)

full-picture view and highlight first object (3.1.2.4.)

full-picture view and highlight all objects (3.1.2.4.)

no view_context

region

zoom to region and highlight (3.2.1.1.)

(2)

zoom to region and highlight (3.1.2.4.)

(4)

full-picture view and highlight first object (3.1.2.4.)

full-picture view and highlight all objects (3.1.2.4.)

no view_context

no region

zoom to geometry and and highlight (3.2.1.1.)

(3)

zoom to geometry and and highlight (3.1.2.4.)

(4)

full-picture view and highlight first object (3.1.2.4.)

full-picture view and highlight all objects (3.1.2.4.)

(1)             Alternative: delete text in 3.2.1.1. and replace by “Default behavior is view_context as described in 3.1.2.4.” This would delete the redundant stuff.

(2)             Replace the ambiguous “move into view” with a behavior that is as close to view_context behavior as possible. This is backward compatible, because the new behavior of course also “moves the object into view”.

(3)             I suggest to remove the “full-picture” statement for  this case. I can’t see a reason why the lack of a region and a view_context attribute should change the typical navigation behavior to a pure highlight behavior.
NOTE:
If we make this a full-picture case this requires all users to add either a region or a view_context to all objects they want to navigate to. They would never be able to navigate to a simple object like a GREXCHANGE 2.4 grobject that has been saved as a WebCGM.

(4)             These two cases need to be changed to match the default behavior described in 3.2.1.1.
For those of you who don’t like this change they would have to change 3.2.1.1. instead. At the end of the day these two paras are inconsistent and need to be aligned. So we can as well do it right now.

 What do you think?

Dieter