Subject: RE: picking question results

At 03:56 PM 6/1/01 -0700, Ulrich Laesche wrote:
>[...]
>The discussion about (in)visibility of elements on top or behind of others
>is very tricky.  From my point of view, a circle is an area and must be
>handled as one.  The Interior Fill Style is an attribute which doesn't
>change the dimension of the circle, even if it is hollow.  Thus, picking
>should apply to the whole circle.  If somebody wants to draw a line behind
>a circle the Circular Arc line element is appropriate to replace the
>circle.

Well, we have two opposite opinions now -- Ulrich and Dieter.

We have implementations reporting:  3 pick hollow/empty; 2 do not.

It is ambiguous (undefined) in the spec now.  I suspect that the particular
choice doesn't make much difference -- some group of people will have to
change their implementations.  Neither way seems significantly harder to
implement.    And I would guess that no (smart) implementation is relying
on this behavior.

How do we resolve this?  Do we need a straw poll (simple majority)?

The resolution needs to be quick. Second Release is waiting (and waiting,
and waiting...).  Release of the test suite is waiting.  So let's not get
hung up on principle, if the real impact is not large (which I assume to be
the case, but could be wrong).

-Lofton.

Lofton Henderson
1919 Fourteenth St., #604