Subject: Fwd: "pick" answer for SVG

CGM Open members --

Here is some useful background information relating to the open "pick"
issue -- on hollow/empty filled objects with visible boundary/edge.  I
looked to see what SVG said.

The answer for SVG is found in:  "16.6 The 'pointer-events' property".  A
property on the SVG graphical element determines the behavior.  There are
10 selectable behaviors, settable on a per-object basis, and the default
(initial) is:

visiblePainted
The given element can be the target element for pointer events when the
'visibility' property is set to visible and when the pointer is over a
"painted" area. The pointer is over a painted area if it is over the
interior (i.e., fill) of the element and the 'fill' property is set to a
value other than 'none' or it is over the perimeter (i.e., stroke) of the
element and the 'stroke' property is set to a value other than 'none'.

So by analogy to the SVG default, a hollow or empty filled area object in
WebCGM with visible border and/or edge would *not* be picked by a mouse
click to the interior, but would be picked by a click on the border/edge.

I can't what, if anything, the ISO standards (GKS, PHIGS, CGI) say about
this case.  I have asked some experts on these standards (Hopgood, Duce,
Bono) if they know the answer.

-Lofton.