Subject: WebCGM Implementors -- IMPT!

WebCGM Implementors --

(Attn especially Forrest, Don, Dieter, Ulrich, Kevin, Lofton)

Please respond asap, and make sure to copy Dave Cruikshank.

Today is the day we are finishing the Second Release text and forwarding it
(we *must* do so today, or risk significant [weeks] more delay).  Of
course, we found another small glitch!  I will propose a resolution, but
also I think that "majority of implementations" should rule.

Problem:

** In Chapter 2/figure 2, and in Chapter 3/3.3 (dtd), it is 'layerdesc'.

** In 2.3.4 and 3.2.2.5, it is 'layerdescription'.

There is little to recommend one over the other, except that layerdesc
would be the only case amongst the 8 attributes where the name is
abbreviated (a weak rationale, I'd say).

The one implementation I know of is MetaCheck 5.18, whose webCGM profile
checking looks for 'layerdesc'.  It also seems to me, as we went through
the "case" issue on the ApsAttr types, that most people took their
definitive lists from section 3.3, the DTD.

Therefore I recommend the resolution:  'layerdesc'

Please tell me (and Dave) by the end of the day, what does your
implementation do?  (If anything -- I suspect that layer functionality is
not widely implemented yet).

Regards,
Lofton.

Lofton Henderson