Subject: Netscape Good News

CGM Open Members --

It appears that the "#" fragment bug may be solved in NN6.  Specifically, our principal technical liaison at Netscape reports that the 6.1 browser release is good.  See attached message

Hopefully, our vendor-members will validate this result soon.

Work and discussions continue about the 4.x browser, which is important to large enterprise clients such as Navy and Boeing.

Regards,
-Lofton.

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 13:58:35 -0700
From: peterlubczynski@netscape.com (Peter Lubczynski)
To: Ulrich Laesche <ulaesche@allegria.com>
CC: Lofton Henderson <lofton@rockynet.com>,
   Dieter Weidenbruck <dieter@itedo.com>,
   David Cruikshank <David.Cruikshank@pss.boeing.com>,
   WhittakerHW@nswccd.navy.mil, Jeff Hooker <jhooker@netscape.com>,
   Arun Ranganathan <aruner@netscape.com>, av@netscape.com
Subject: Re: fragment-bug telcon summary

Oh my gosh, this appears to be already fixed in Netscape 6.1! Except for the installer, the plugin works pretty good on the sample kit. It does exactly what you'd except (and NOT what Nav 4.x does) and I confirm in the debugger the plugin is being called on each new fragment. Unless there is objection from anyone, I will close those two bugs in Bugzilla.

You can get the open source version of the build I tested here:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/2001-07-13-06-0.9.2/

This may also be fixed in Netscape 6.0, but I have not checked. If you'd like more information about updating your installer for Netscape 6.1, I can provide you with what registry keys to look up and a readme. Also, Arun can help you get a branded Netscape 6.1 copy of the above build, if you like, since we have not officially released 6.1 yet.

Also, I notice you ship a .ZIP file. Netscape 6.x has gotten rid of the old built-in Java VM in favor of a pluggable one like from Sun. Because of this, scripting plugins through the old LiveConnect will not work. However, we have an easy upgrade path to XPConnect if all you want is to expose some methods to script. See this document:
http://mozilla.org/docs/scripting-plugins.html

-peterl

Lofton Henderson
1919 Fourteenth St., #604