Subject: RE: CGM Open TC meeting?

To all interested parties:

The DOD community has been doing due diligence and industry monitoring
in many areas but this e-mail concerns Technical manuals and drawings.
As many of you know, I'm a member of CGMOpen and have been attending
the ATA meetings for the past 3 or more years now.  I'm either directly
involved or peripherally involved in numerous conversion efforts or technical
documentation authoring.  We have a few projects that are looking at
life cycle costs and capabilities.  They have been following the work
on SVG and the W3C recommendation of that format specification.

Numerous vendors claim SVG support and even ISODraw has some output
support for this specification.  One of the key factors programs are
looking at other than the XML implementations is that it has a DOM.
With all the recent e-mail traffic it looks like with the cancellation of
the TICC week, we have shifted the emphasis of the DOM work to getting
ready for the demo in Orlando.  I think that might be a good short term goal
but not good for bringing home the fact that CGM and webCGM is the format
to use for your technical drawings.

As a community we need to remember that the DOD and FAA and other larger
industries have numerous drawings that need to be converted to vector.
Most if not all of the CGM tools are for authoring.  Many of the ship, airplanes
plant drawings and large architectural drawings are modifications to existing
drawings not new drawings.  With the shrinking budget dollars we are trying to
tie technical documentation with training.  Traditionally training has used
flashy and animated drawings or videos to aid in the training process.

Other questions are we as a community working with displaying CGM or webCGM
graphics on a PDA?  Additionally has anyone looked into the SCORM work and bring
CGM into the fold.  We also need to be able to show that the creation and use of CGM
tools is cost effective.

Any help in answering the above questions and then the basic question of CGM verses
SVG would be very helpful.

thanks,
harry