Subject: [cgmopen-members] Fwd: RE: Deadline extended for XML Europe papersubmissions!

CGM Open Members --

So far, there is interest from Dave, Dieter, and Ulrich.  Ulrich and Dave
are thinking along similar lines, about CGM DOM technical talks, and might
productively combine (unless Ulrich wants to slightly morph his idea into a
case-study, see below).

Here are my observations from Orlando:

1. The vendor demo went well, and ought to be repeated.  It was impressive,
to have the 5 major WebCGM products represented on one panel.

Question:  Will Forrest, Don, and Kevin be able to have a presence at
Barcelona for this bit?

2. The tutorial was better attended than SVG's, and the attendees were very
interactive.  I think it worked well the way we broke it up into pieces for
me ("theory"), Dave (integration & advanced topics), and Don (practical --
how to work with WebCGM in the real world).

3. From the WebCGM-SVG Comparison, it seems that the most persistent
question remains:  why two formats, and why would I use WebCGM instead of
SVG?  This comes down to the business case, ultimately.

Question.  Can we get one or more business case or case study papers from
one of you user members, or from one of our vendors' customers?

(I assume that Dieter will do the "comparison" again with Chris?).

Note.  Extended deadline is Friday, 1/4 -- one week from tomorrow.

Regards,
-Lofton.

>From: "Ulrich Laesche" <ulrich@ematek.de>
>To: "Lofton Henderson" <lofton@rockynet.com>
>Subject: RE: Deadline extended for XML Europe paper submissions!
>Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 15:23:22 +0100
>
>Hello Lofton,
>
>I hope you had a happy Christmas holiday.  As usual, in Germany we extend
>holidays to, at least, two days in a row.  Thus we officially still have a
>holiday today and most of the offices will stay closed until mid next week.
>
>In any case, with Dave's already submitted draft it might be a good idea to
>team with him on the DOM API subject.  Here is an updated reply to my
>previous mail (I removed customer names etc).  Please feel free to circulate
>it within CGMOpen.
>
>In previous European XML conferences the US attendance was always pretty
>low.  If this will be the case in Barcelona as well I could take over a more
>active role than in Orlando.  I see the following possibilities for
>participation in the conference program:
>
>1) Vendor Demo: Similar or identical to Orlando, however, the crowd will
>probably be quite different.
>
>2) Presentation: I had a similar subject in mind as Dave.  In May I would
>expect a couple of customers in the manufacturing industry to be using a DOM
>API like implementation in practice, which should provide material to prove
>the concepts of the current layout.  To not duplicate presentation topics I
>could team with Dave, i.e., leave the DOM presentation to him and talk 15
>minutes about practical approaches.  Is that of interest (Dave, others)?  In
>Orlando I gained the impression that more business oriented topics were
>chosen than in previous conferences.  A mixture might help to get the draft
>through.
>
>3) Tutorial: Depending on if this will be a full-day or a half-day tutorial
>I could take back Don's part again (if he will not attend) and/or merge in
>material from the presentation.
>
>Please tell me your opinion.  Regards
>Ulrich

Lofton Henderson