Subject: [cgmopen-members] issue tracking for interop project

Franck,

As I recall from Frankfurt, I had an action item to send to you an issue
tracking scheme used by the W3C QA Working Group (QAWG).  I don't recall
whether we said this explicitly, but does this mean that you are the
"Issues Editor" for tracking the cases in the interoperability project?

In any case, attached you will find the QAWG system.  I have renamed the
files slightly in some cases, to prevent confusion with QAWG.  However, I
have not gone all the way, e.g., I have not edited the XSLT stylesheet so
that it outputs HTML that looks like "CGM Open Interoperability Project"
instead of "QA WG Issues List".

I'm happy to help with that, but first let's decide if we're going use a
system like this, or rather SourceForge (per Dave's email suggestion -- see

Contents of ZIP file:

1.) cgmo-interop-cases.xml:  source XML file for interoperability problem
cases.
2.) cgmo-interop-cases.xsl: XSLT for transforming #1 to make a HTML web page.
3.) 28-qawg-issues.dtd: the DTD for the tracking system.
4.) tmp.html:  the result of transforming #1 by #2 (using xalan or saxon,
which are the two XSLT processors that I use the most).

Another reference:

5.) http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/qawg-issues-html.html

Notes:

#5 is the location of the current QAWG issues list, which is the result of
applying the XSLT transformation (QAWG's version of #2) to the XML issues
log.  Notice that the stylesheet (XSLT) suppresses the Closed issues in the
1-line preliminary listing, and shades them in the full expansion.

About #1:  I have cut the file so that it shows just three sample issues
(from QAWG).  Btw, #1 does not validate against #3, because I have gotten
careless and in some cases treated some elements (e.g., 'locus') as
optional in the content model, whereas the content model is pretty rigid.

About #3:  This system was borrowed and adapted by QAWG from other W3C
working groups (XMLP and DOM used it).  It is undocumented,
unfortunately.  But it is fairly simple to figure out by looking at #4 (see
"Legend" at the end).  Another caveat -- when QAWG borrowed this, there
were a few fields which didn't seem useful to us (e.g., 'locus',
'requirement', etc).  As I recall, we may have added an element or two also.

About #2:  We (QAWG) didn't modify this (yet) to eliminate the unused
elements during the transformation, but rather left them (unused).  We
could (should) have changed the XSLT to suppress them in the HTML page.  An
example is 'requirement'.  Also notice how the stylesheet (XSLT) suppresses
the Closed issues in the 1-line preliminary Summary listing, and shades
them in the full Detailed listing.  This behavior could be changed easily
-- for example to leave them in the Summary but sort the table on status so
that they came at the end.  Or even create a separate summary table of
'Closed' interop cases.

That's all for now,
-Lofton.