Subject: [cgmopen-members] Fwd: Possible issue tracker

CGMO members --

This is a followup to my submission of the simple XML/XSLT issue tracker
used in the W3C QA Working Group (QAWG), where I am the Issues Editor.

Dave pointed out another option, a piece of freeware at SourceForge.  In
fact, QAWG considered this option, as you will see at

http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/qawg-issues-html#x1

SourceForge is appealing, in particular because it easily allows multiple
"qualified" members to create new and modify old issue entries in the
system.  By contrast, the XML/XSLT system works best with a dedicated
issues editor (unless we were to commit it to a CVS system, to linearize
access of multiple editors).  Whether or not we want this -- multiple
access -- is an issue in itself.  (Thoughts?).

QAWG chose the XML/XSLT because:

1.) no learning curve (for me) ==> fast startup.
2.) concern about "what if SourceForge disappears?"
3.) single editor control

About #2:  we wanted to figure out if were possible to do regular backups
of the SourceForge tracker to a serialized XML output.  The thinking was
this:  if SourceForge were to suddenly disappear, could we lose our issues
list?  If there is even a remote possibility of that, then we require a
'SaveAs' XML function to protect ourselves.  We had a hard time getting an
answer.  It appears that the answer is "yes", but we still don't have a
completely unambiguous indication.

About #3:  we decided that we weren't too keen on multiple access.  It
could work okay, but we'd still need an ultimately responsible issues
editor to enforce our conventions, and to review the work of multiple
submitters.

None of this is meant discourage SourceForge for the CGMO interop
project.  I'm just giving you the thinking of QAWG.

What do you think?

Regards,
-Lofton.