Subject: [cgmopen-members] product info assessment -- 2nd draft

CGM Open members --

Here is a 2nd draft of my analysis and proposal to get product information
posted expeditiously.  Let's discuss this during the 8/22
telecon.  Especially look at the section, "Proposed way forward".

Also I have attached a prototype/sample of what a viewer pro-forma might
look like.

-Lofton.
Title: Sample viewer pro-forma

Product

Acme XyzView 2.0 for Windows.

Introduction

This checklist describes the conformance of the subject viewer product to the WebCGM specification, according to its performance on the WebCGM Test Suite.

The functionality is coarsly divided with two questions: static graphics and dynamic behavior. All viewers should be able to render the static graphics, but some viewers -- e.g., printers, or standalone interactive viewers in an environment without a Web browswer -- are inherently incapable of executing the dynamic tests.

For each of the categories, dynamic and static, there are a small number of more detailed questions which summarize the basic functional categories or modules. Each category links to a specific set of tests. "Yes" means all tests are passed, "No" means at least one test is not passed for that module. "Comments" link to optional product supplier comments about the product's behavior on the module.

WebCGM viewer pro-forma checklist table

All-functional overview

Key Description Yes No Comments
1. Supports all dynamic functionality -- for all modules below, passes all (~25) tests.
2. Supports all static functionality -- for all modules below, passes all (~225) tests.

Dynamic functionality

Key Description Yes No Comments
1.1 Basic linking -- inbound and outbound, whole-file targets, fragments, multi-links
1.2 Basic linking behaviors -- frames, highlighting, zooming
1.3 Advanced fragments -- all forms, browser-bug workaround, etc.    x  LRH-1.3
1.4 Interaction -- pick region, screentips, etc
1.5 Other APS -- para, subpara, level, content model

Static functionality

Key Description Yes No Comments
2.1 Line elements -- geometry of all line elements, support of all line-element attributes. (subdivide finer? e.g., geometry vs. attributes? simple vs. curves?)
2.2 ...etc...
2.3 Basic text support -- all basic text stuff and basic text attributes
2.4 Full character set support -- unicode etc. (is this worth separate breakout?)
... ... etc -- maybe 10-15 lines total in this static-graphics part ...

Comments from table

LRH-1.3: Viewer does not do multiple pictures (deprecated in WebCGM 1.0 2nd Release).

Test lists

Dynamic modules

1.1-tests: linking-basicH2C-BE-01, linking-basicC2H-BE-02, linking-basicC2C-BE-03, linking-basicC2P-BE-04, linking-selectId-BE-05, linking-selectName-BE-06, linking-anyURI-BE-07, linking-multiLink-BE-08

1.2-tests: behavior-picBlankC2C-BE-01, behavior-picReplaceC2C-BE-02, behavior-picBlankC2H-BE-03, behavior-picTargetC2H-BE-04, behavior-objHighlight-BE-05, behavior-objHighlightAll-BE-06, behavior-objViewContext-BE-07

1.3-tests: fragment-idC2H-BE-01, fragment-multiPic-BE-02, fragment-fiveForms-BE-03, fragment-browserBug-BE-04*

1.4-tests: interact-pick-BE-01, interact-pickRegion-BE-02, interact-screenTip-BE-03

1.5-tests: otherAPS-para-BE-01, otherAPS-para-BE-02, otherAPS-subPara-BE-03*, otherAPS-subPara-BE-04*, otherAPS-layer-BE-05*, otherAPS-contentModel-BE-06*

Static modules

2.1-tests: ..., ELLARC01, ELLARC02, ELLARC03, ELLARC04, ELLARC05, ...

2.2-tests:

...etc...