Subject: RE: A CGM Question: handling transparency

Hi Lofton,
-----Original Message-----
From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 11:59 AM
To: Benoit Bezaire; DULUC Franck

Benoit,

At 11:42 AM 8/28/03 -0400, Benoit Bezaire wrote:
[...]
Would this do it from an SVG perspective?

I was thinking of something similar an SVG solution, and in fact one could simulate that SVG solution in WebCGM.  (Your solution:  put the whole picture in a nested 'svg' within a 'defs', then 'use' it over rectangles of different colours).

The interesting question here arises about a difference between CGM and SVG.  The CGM standard says that every "Picture" (that which occurs between BegPic and EndPic) is completely defined, including a background of a solid color.  The background color has a default, at least, and can be explicitly set.  So in CGM, the solution has to be something like (in WebCGM) making the background fully (alpha) transparent.

SVG 1.0 ... what is the background?  I.e., if you just have a simple file, <svg>...blah...blah...</svg>, what is the "...blah...blah..." drawn on or over?  You are much more involved with this than I, and I'm drawing a blank on the answer.  Is it well defined in the SVG 1.0 standard, or undefined (i.e., "nothing", transparent), or viewer-dependent?
[Benoit Bezaire] Yes, it is well defined.  A canvas in SVG 1.0/1.0 is always initialized to transparent black.  You can find more info at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/render.html#Grouping
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/render.html#Elements

Benoit.

In your example, it is clear that the 'svg' in the 'defs' is being drawn with "undefined/transparent".

-Lofton.