cgmopen-ms message

Subject: Re: [cgmopen-ms] Dissolution of CGM Open Member Section

A special thanks and recognition is due Dieter specifically, but also Lofton and others who have served the Steering Committee for nearly 15 years.  Much has changed since 1999 but the leadership team's commitment to their goals remained unwavering the whole time.  Dieter was instrumental in forming the original relationship with OASIS and he returned from retirement to take the helm during this most recent transition.

OASIS is very proud of our relationship for these years and were pleased that we could develop a financial model that allowed the use of a portion of the dues paid to OASIS by CGM members to pay the Program Director for his important service to the OASIS CGM community.  I believe this dedicated resource (and Lofton's personal commitment to the task) made possible much of the progress the group made up to and through the final OASIS Standard in March 2010.

Dieter is correct in reporting that the CGM community in OASIS has much to be proud of.  While most standards communities evolve quickly over time as companies change, merge and change technical direction, the CGM community in OASIS was remarkably stable right through the final standard approval. You should be commended for your successfully working in parallel with the W3C community to create our first parallel-branded spec--no small feat.   More importantly, this was not standards-for-standards-sake work, the webCGM Standard meets real industry needs and is now ubiquitously used in the aerospace and defense industries.  For these reasons we are most proud of the members of CGM Open and their hard work.

While the Member Section is closing, your legacy remains strong.

Best wishes in the next phase of CGM,

Scott...