Subject: feedback requested

Chairs:

The OASIS Technical Advisory Committee (TAC, a committee of the OASIS Board
of Directors) would like to get some feedback from the TC chairs regarding
some possible changes to the way we manage our TCs.

The OASIS TC Process is built around the philosophy of openness: any OASIS
member can propose and form a TC on any topic, any OASIS member is allowed
to participate, all TC proceedings are visible to the public, etc. This
philosophy is extremely important to OASIS and we do not want to do anything
that would change this.

On the other hand, we have little oversight of what technical work OASIS
does. With just about every new TC that we form we get questions from the
public asking why OASIS is pursuing the new work. It appears that OASIS has
no technical agenda.

The TAC is concerned about this situation, and has been discussing ways in
which to provide some sort of oversight over our technical work while not
doing anything to restrict the openness of our process. The TAC has
suggested the following plan, and would like to hear your comments before
proceeding any further.

1. A Technical Architecture Board (TAB) would be organized consisting of
representatives of the TAC, OASIS staff, TC chairs, invited experts, etc.

2. The TAB would define a set of "portfolios" or topic areas for technical
work. For example, there could be a portfolio for e-business, another for
conformance work, etc. Existing and new TCs would each be assigned to a
portfolio by the TAB. The TAB would allocate available resources to the
portfolios to encourage work that OASIS feels is important.

3. Each portfolio would include coordination, management, a common
architecture as necessary, etc. to ensure that the TCs are working
collaberatively.

We haven't yet worked out all the details of this plan, but like the idea so
far. I have looked at the official OASIS TC Process and find little that
would need to be changed to accomodate this plan. This plan would seem to
provide some oversight over our technical work without restricting the
openness of our process.

We would like to get your comments over the next few days; the board will be
meeting next week on Wednesday and Thursday and would like to discuss this
idea further. Feel free to discuss on this list, or send your comment
privately to me. Please focus on the philosophy rather than the details of
the suggestion.

thanks

</karl>
Karl F. Best