Subject: Re: feedback requested

I have one comment which I think is important.

Karl Best wrote:

> Chairs:
>
> The OASIS Technical Advisory Committee (TAC, a committee of the OASIS Board
> of Directors) would like to get some feedback from the TC chairs regarding
> some possible changes to the way we manage our TCs.
>
> The OASIS TC Process is built around the philosophy of openness: any OASIS
> member can propose and form a TC on any topic, any OASIS member is allowed
> to participate, all TC proceedings are visible to the public, etc. This
> philosophy is extremely important to OASIS and we do not want to do anything
> that would change this.
>
> On the other hand, we have little oversight of what technical work OASIS
> does. With just about every new TC that we form we get questions from the
> public asking why OASIS is pursuing the new work. It appears that OASIS has
> no technical agenda.

I don't think it should be considered that it is OASIS pursuing the work, as
much as it is OASIS members. There's a big difference. I like the fact that
it is a bottom-up approach; it gives members a place to meet without the
extra overhead of justifying to a committee why they want to do this work. I
like the fact that 2 or more TCs could tackle the same issues at the same
time; any committee would have a natural tendency to ask why this is
necessary or if it is a good idea. In other words, I like the current
structure.

Lauren