Subject: software licenses

An issue has arisen in the Entity Resolution TC which I think has
to be solved at an OASIS level, and I think some discussion
amongst the chairs will also be useful.

The situation is that we have a specification, which is covered by
the OASIS copyright, and basically nobody can change it except
for the committee. That's fine.

Then we have some code, in this case code written by John
Cowan, which implements certain bits of the specification or
related ideas (e.g., to translate 9401 catalogs to xcatalogs). John
wishes these to be basically public domain, changeable, he wants
to be known as the original author, and also wants the code to be
available for some time. Howver, it is not a work product of the
committee.

So there are a few issues here.
1) OASIS has (at least implicitly) guaranteed that work products of
the committee will be available ad infinitum
2) how long can we expect the web pages of committees to
remain, once the committee has been disbanded?
3) how long can we expect mail archives of committees to remain,
once the committee has been disbanded?
4) what happens to related products such as code which the
committee itself doesn't produce, but they are useful and it would
be handy to have them somewhere for people to find, even if the
committee itself doesn't exist any more?

Until such time as the web page for the ER TC disappears, we can
link to the code from there, and we can also link to the email
archives until they also disappear. But we need to know how long
that might be.

I can imagine other TCs might want to release software as part of
the committee work; W3C found it necessary to have a separate
software license since conditions on software and documents are
different. I think this could be necessary for OASIS as well.

Lauren