Subject: [chairs] RE: TAB Charter proposal

TC Chairs:

The OASIS Techncial Advisory Board (TAB) has requested that the OASIS
Board revise their charter, and as the requested revision concerns the
OASIS TCs the Board would like to give the TC chairs the opportunity to
comment.

The TAB's current charter (see http://www.oasis-open.org/tab/#charter)
is to "advise the OASIS Board of Directors (Board) on matters related to
supporting the technical agenda of OASIS". The TAB would in addition
like to be able to work with the TCs in areas listed below.

The Board will be considering this proposal at their next meeting on 21
November; please send me your comments by 18 November so that I can
compile and submit them to the Board.

thanks
-Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: Eduardo Gutentag [mailto:eduardo.gutentag@sun.com]
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 6:51 PM
To: oasisboard@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: OASIS TAB
Subject: [oasisboard] TAB Charter proposal

Dear OASIS Board,

Over the past few months, since our first meeting on June 17, the TAB
has been struggling with the fact that our charter does not allow us
to contact TCs directly and all our communications must pass through
the Board of Directors. While this is understandable inasmuch as the
TAB is a Committee of the Board, and the Board envisions it only as an
advisory committee with no powers of execution, it does make some of
our efforts ineffective. In that spirit, we would like to propose to the
Board a small modification of the charter, which would allow the TAB to
get in direct contact with Technical Committees in the fulfillment of
its charter, viz. the addition of a section 1.2.iv such that section 1.2
would now read:

-------
2.Support the OASIS technical process

   i. Support technical committees by providing review and guidance on
      scope and deliverables of technical work
  ii. Recommend areas of collaboration within OASIS technical
      committees and with other outside standards activities
iii. Recommend guidelines and other processes that will support the
      OASIS technical process e.g. development of standard templates,
      best practices, tools and infrastructure
  iv. Communicate directly with the appropriate technical committess as
      required to carry out the activities described above.
-------

(The current charter can be found at http://www.oasis-open.org/tab/#charter)

Please note the reduced scope of the requested modification - it would
touch only section 1.2

This would also be a good opportunity for the Board to change the word
"within" in 1.2.ii with "between", since that section supposedly refers
to collaboration between TCs rather than within TCs.

Thank you

--
Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo.gutentag@Sun.COM
Web Technologies and Standards |         Phone:  +1 510 550 4616 x31442

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS
+1 978.667.5115 x206