Subject: RE: [chairs] Oasis document identifiers - conclusion?

Title: FW: [chairs] Oasis document identifiers - conclusion?

Carlisle's point is an excellent illustration of the rule that every naming convention is really a database indexing decision.

We've seen both cases now – that indexing by the Status is most important and indexing by the TC identifier is most important.

Neither is "right", just more convenient depending on your POV and needs at a particular point in time.

The "right" answer would to be able to index the documents both ways. Gabe Wachob and I, co-chairs of the XRI TC which starts this week, appreciate how much this discussion reflects the requirements of our TC's work. Each OASIS document is a resource which needs to be identified. Each resource has multiple attributes and different identifiers could be used to reflect different attributes depending on the needs of the end user trying to locate or reference the resource.

The ideal solution would be an identifier syntax and resolution capability that supports any combination of the attributes that results in resolution to a unique instance. That's one of the key goals of our TC.

[Sorry, but it won't be available until at least we reach CS status.]

=Drummond