Subject: Re: [chairs] Oasis document identifiers - conclusion?

I certainly see your point.  What it proves to me is that we need not
spend much more time discussing it -- either answer will suit.

Someday, when XRIs are ubiquitous, then we can worry about the
application layer that presents a resource under both guises... :-)

	Eve

Drummond Reed wrote:
> Carlisle's point is an excellent illustration of the rule that every
> naming convention is really a database indexing decision.
>

> We've seen both cases now – that indexing by the Status is most
> important and indexing by the TC identifier is most important.
>

> Neither is "right", just more convenient depending on your POV and needs
> at a particular point in time.
>

> The "right" answer would to be able to index the documents both ways.
> Gabe Wachob and I, co-chairs of the XRI TC which starts this week,
> appreciate how much this discussion reflects the requirements of our
> TC's work. Each OASIS document is a resource which needs to be
> identified. Each resource has multiple attributes and different
> identifiers could be used to reflect different attributes depending on
> the needs of the end user trying to locate or reference the resource.
>

> The ideal solution would be an identifier syntax and resolution
> capability that supports any combination of the attributes that results
> in resolution to a unique instance. That's one of the key goals of our TC.
>

> [Sorry, but it won't be available until at least we reach CS status.]
>

> =Drummond

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Technologies and Standards               eve.maler @ sun.com