Subject: Re: [chairs] Oasis document identifiers - conclusion?

I agree about not overloading file names. It would seem to me
a better solution to let the file name be most anything a given TC
wants it to be, and instead to let users rely on a set of tagged
elements of a structure that could adequately describe the attributes
of a document.

Such a structure could be managed and maintained by OASIS and
searched through a web page. A user then might retrieve all of the
standards, all the CSs, etc. This approach would not need to rely
on the good behavior of so many people across all of the TCs,
which may tend to be problematic.

Phil

jkeane wrote:
The second suggested format [TC-Phase-StandardName-Version]makes sense
because it goes from the general to the specific.

You can solve the classic database sorting problem by have multiple tags or
fields in  a catalog database. I had circulated a schematic and a list of
suggested fields prior to the Kavi meeting, but was unable to attend. Does
Kavi have any pre-existing workable solution to offer?  Are they on this
list? Are there some folks with Information Science or Wired Librarian skill
who should be involved with this discussion?.

A file name, however elegantly framed, has not been not enough to satisfy
the queries we have gotten in LegalXML. This is particularly true of queries
by outsider who have trouble figuring out what we are doing. We also have a
lot of resources beside formal documents we should share with each other.

Having a catalog database that can dynamically generate look-up table and
other user aids on various OASIS and committee web pages will allow reports
that can be specific to a sub-committee, to multiple sub-committees or cut
across committees, such as all drafts and final documents affecting
eCommerce or security. Without a database, we need to post multiple items to
various parts of the site, and then keep them synchronized as new drafts
appear and become final.

My 2 cents - based on 30 years of building document retrieval database for
litigation support.

Jim Keane
Vice Chair, LegalXML Member Section Steering Committee
Co-Chair, OdrXML

cc: Ad hoc group from LegalXML considering normalization of our document
collection
    	Professor Lawrence Leff (who has offered to assist with document
classification)
    	Robin Gibson, Legal XML CourtFiling
    	Rogers Winters, Legal XML CourtFiling

James I. Keane
JKeane.Law.Pro
20 Esworthy Terrace
North Potomac MD 20878
301-948-4062 F: 301-947-1176 (N.B.: NEW FAX NUMBER)
www.jkeane.com <http://www.jkeane.com>

Co-Author and Annual Update Editor of Treatise: Litigation Support Systems,
An Attorney Guide 2nd
<http://www.westgroup.com/store/product.asp?product_id=16989703&catalog_name
=wgstore>   Ed. (WestGroup, 1992, updated through 2002)