Subject: RE: [chairs] Oasis document identifiers - conclusion?

Here is a link to the Kavi document repository on their public web site.

http://www.kavi.com/prodserv/groups/page_two/

Can we get a Kavi person in this discussion?

Re file names: I've been working with virtual teams since 1985, and have
some thoughts on shared file naming conventions.

1)  Have a meaningful name - no acronyms or abbreviations for contents.
Short TC names do makes sense.  I keep an archive of work products, pruning
out unnecessary documents and most drafts after the project is long over.
When you are browsing an older directory the Alzheimer effect kicks in after
six months.

2)  We store related documents in project sub-directories.  This makes it
unnecessary to include extensive generic info in every file name.  If you
store all the docs in a single directory, it would make more sense to have
the prime sort by TC name.

3) Include the date (as proposed, but in a sortable format)  File dates
change (i.e. moving all files from computer A to computer B for maintenance.

4) Include version sequence in sortable format.  This will avoid confusion
about which drafts are on the table.

5) Add any relevant trailing info about status or special features.

Here is an example of what we used in drafting the Online Dispute Resolution
Charter. This approach has enabled me to work with ad hoc teams over many
projects over many years and not have too much confusion or spending time in
discussions (which we needed do here) like this.

OdrXML Charter 1.0 DRAFT 2002.09.26.doc
OdrXML Charter 1.1 DRAFT 2002.10.07.doc
OdrXML Charter 1.2 DRAFT FINAL 2002.10.18.doc
OdrXML Charter 1.2 DRAFT FINAL REDLINE 2002.10.18.doc
OdrXML Charter 1.2a DRAFT FINAL 2002.10.19.doc
OdrXML Charter FINAL 2002.11.11.doc

   That's what I used in my directory. We used the redline indicator to show
a version highlighting the substantive changes.  We use 1.2a to reflect some
minor changes from proof reading the penultimate draft. The actual final
document appears in html text on the web page.

When appropriate we have also added author initials, particularly on drafts
that occur in one day or it is important to reflect the position of
significant interests, as in successive contract drafts. That is probably
not as important here.

We also try to use the metadata in the document profiles.  It would be great
to have the metadata and file naming elements work in tandem through XML.

There is inherent arbitrariness in all file naming conventions. I humbly
offer this method as an example of what has worked in many groups over many
years across multiple systems in multiple law firms in the middle of
contract negotiations and contested law suits among very picky lawyers.

This approach sorts itself a useful order, and follows the legal precept of
"res ipsa loquitur" or "The thing speaks for itself."

I do urge creating the metadata, tags or fields in a database that can
generate suitable bibliographic postings rather than creating a highly
stylized bibliography in Word. There is great librarian type software that
can do this on the fly. See, e.g. Inmagic dbTextWorks.

The database should also allow queries and ad hoc reports with further data
such as URL, status, sub-committee, author, author organizations -- as
previously suggested.

My 2 cents.

Happy new year to all...

Jim Keane
Vice Chair Legal XML Member Section
Co-Chair OdrXML Technical Committee

James I. Keane
JKeane.Law.Pro
North Potomac MD 20878
301-948-4062 F: 301-947-1176 (N.B.: NEW FAX NUMBER)
www.jkeane.com <http://www.jkeane.com>

Co-Author and Annual Update Editor of Treatise: Litigation Support Systems,
An Attorney Guide 2nd
<http://www.westgroup.com/store/product.asp?product_id=16989703&catalog_name
=wgstore>   Ed. (WestGroup, 1992, updated through 2002)