Subject: Re: Quorum required for good standing; was RE: [chairs] Info forchair setup of Kavi TC areas

Jon,

you say:
> Note that in mail votes (including email), a majority is a
> majority of all of those casting a vote -- not necessarily a
> majority of the entire membership.

That was possibly true in previous versions of the TC process. Currently
this has been clarified to avoid ambiguities, and the TC process
nowadays says:

"For the purposes of mail vote counting, quorum is constituted by the
whole TC membership." -- The reasoning behind this is that the whole
membership is always available and present for email votes.

What is still not clear to me is whether in a 10 person TC, given,
let's say, 3 abstentions, are 4 positive votes enough to pass, or
are 5 positive votes required no matter what. I guess because I've
never understood whether abstentions are counted as negative votes
or simply as no-votes-that-reduce-the-quorum-count.

--
Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo.gutentag@Sun.COM
Web Technologies and Standards |         Phone:  +1 510 550 4616 x31442