Subject: Re: [chairs] Re: Quorum required for good standing

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 06:02, Jeff Kenton wrote:
> We are going around in circles on this.
>
> Robert's Rules of Order is clear about face to face (or teleconference)
> meetings -- quorums, majority votes and abstentions.  It is unclear about
> email votes on the issue of quorums.

Right, that's why there is a special section on it in the TC Process
document, "(n) Conduct of TC business by mail"

> There are two choices:

I disagree, there is no choice at all because the process is already
spelled out in http://oasis-open.org/committees/process.shtml#mail

> Either
>   * everybody is present at an email vote, so there's always a quorum and a
> majority of votes cast wins
That's what the TC process document says, in accordance w/Roberts

>   * or, total votes cast plus explicit abstentions determine whether you have
> a quorum

No, that would contradict the TC process document.

> Time to choose what works best for us, and put the clarification into our
> rules.

They are already there.

> Or, at worst, let each committee choose for itself and clarify its
> own bylaws.
Sorry, total disagreement on this from me and, I suspect, many others.

--
Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo.gutentag@Sun.COM
Web Technologies and Standards |         Phone:  +1 510 550 4616 x31442