Subject: [chairs] status of mass doc import

I've had a couple people ask me about the status of the mass import of
documents into the doc repository.

We had the folks at Kavi grab all of the docs in the ftp directories a
couple of days ago, so those docs are all in the repository now. They
didn't realize that we have a lot of docs that are elsewhere too, so not
all of the TCs' docs have been imported yet.

During this process we've been realizing even more than before that we
need to be very careful about preserving current URLs. Messages such as
the one from Norm have reminded us how very important this is. There's
about 10,000 docs total, and most of them have internal links to other
docs, so there's a *lot* of URLs that need to continue to work.

Our original plan was to import the docs into the repository, then
gradually replace the original docs with redirects that would point from
the original URL to the new repository location. After some more
thinking on this we're not comfortable that this is the best solution.
We want to take advantage of the doc repository functionality,
specifically the integration into the other TC functionality and
notification to TC members when a new doc is checked in, etc. but we
can't break the existing URLs. Perhaps the repository should just store
pointers to the docs which would continue to reside in their original
location. We've also got to integrate the new doc naming scheme, which
many of you have discussed on this list, into the entire doc storage scheme.

Until we've come up with a complete solution that we're all happy with
we're going to leave all of the current docs in their current location
with their current URLs, in addition to importing them into the
repository. If any (two or three) of you would like to work with us to
help figure out a good long-term solution I would appreciate your advice.

-Karl