Subject: Re: [chairs] Subtleties in the OASIS TC Member Attendance Rules

Hal,

why are you counting in 4's rather than in 3's?
See below.

Hal Lockhart wrote:

>Harri Reddy recently drew my attention to an aspect of the TC membership
>rules which I had not correctly understood. Perhaps this is old news to some
>of you, but I believe it would surprise most OASIS members.
>
>Suppose a member misses 2 meetings in a row. They are sent a warning and
>they attend the next meeting. So far so good. However, unless they attend
>the NEXT meeting, they will lose membership, as they will have missed 3 out
>of 4 meetings. In other words, the pattern N-N-Y-N should be treated the
>same as N-Y-N-N.

If you count in threes, your first pattern becomes N-Y-N (missed 2 out
of 3), and
the second pattern becomes Y-N-N (missed 2 out of 3, same as above, and
therefore
both should be threated the same. It's like there is a slide with a
3-meeting hole that
you slide over the sequence of meetings, and it slides one space to the
right
every time there is a meeting.

(Please note that the first reading of the pattern once the TC is
established can
never start with an N, because in order to be in the TC the first must
be Y, by
definition).

BTW, the intention was always that most of this (warnings, termination,
etc.) was
going to be somewhat at the chair's discretion, and that chairs would
observe these rules
as strictly as necessary (or not) in order to make sure quorum was
obtainable.

>Yet it seems completely unintuitive to send a warning to someone right after
>they have attended a meeting. On the other hand, it seems unintuitive to
>terminate someone who attended the previous meeting and received no warning
>message.

No, the warning would be sent after someone did not attend a meeting.
Remember, the
series always begins with a Y, because the member must have attended the
first
meeting:
Y-N-N[warning]-Y-N[termination]
Y-Y-N-Y-N[warning]-N[termination]
Y-Y-N-Y-Y-N-N[warning]-Y-Y-N-Y-N[warning]-Y-N[warning]-Y-N[warning]-Y-N[termination?]

The question mark above is because it is certainly at the chair's
discretion to determine whether
the member has been consistent in his/her absences.

HTH

--
Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo.gutentag@Sun.COM
Web Technologies and Standards |         Phone:  +1 510 550 4616 x31442