Subject: Re: [chairs] Subtleties in the OASIS TC Member Attendance Rules

Well, Kavi allows setting RO/RW permissions as well as voting
permissions. But it seems to me that we're starting to talk about
defining a new type of member under the TC Process.

Right now the TC Process defines a TC member (who I've set up in Kavi as
RW, voting), Prospective member (RW, non-vote), and other eligible
people (an Observer, RO, non-vote).

It sounds to me like you're talking about adding a new type of person,
the non-voting member (RW, non-vote) who isn't intedning to become a
member at this time. I know how to do this in Kavi, but I'm not sure
what to call this type of person under the Process.

-Karl

Eduardo Gutentag wrote:
> Why? I thought we were precisely talking about changes to the Kavi
> process, *not* the TC process, reflecting in part my concern about
> Kavi changing the TC process (which is what you seem to imply in your
> note) rather than the TC process influencing how things are presented
> in Kavi...
>
> Karl F. Best wrote:
>
>> I appreciate the input (and always happy to hear suggestions) but this
>> is something that I'll have to bring up with the Board's TC Process
>> subcommittee, who is currently working on a revision of the Process
>> document.
>>
>> -Karl
>>

>> jon.bosak@sun.com wrote:
>>
>>> It seems that several of us are in agreement on the desirability
>>> of creating an official category for members of a TC mailing list
>>> who are not also members (strictly speaking) of a TC.  The
>>> question is what to call this category.  Scott likes "nonvoting
>>> member" for marketing reasons.  Eduardo and I dislike this
>>> nomenclature because in parliamentary practice (meaning Robert's,
>>> which specifies 99.9 per cent of the rules that govern formal TC
>>> operation) the word "member" means "voting member," "voting
>>> member" is frowned upon as a term containing a redundancy, and
>>> "nonvoting member" is considered to be a contradiction in terms.
>>>
>>> I suggest that we try for a category name that does not contain an
>>> internal contradiction but serves better for marketing purposes
>>> than "observer with posting privileges."  How about "participant"?
>>> That would not only serve almost as well as "member" in the resume
>>> scenario but would also have the benefit of truthfully
>>> representing the nature of one's involvement in the process.
>>>
>>> Jon
>>>
>>>    Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 13:34:26 -0700
>>>    From: Eduardo Gutentag <Eduardo.Gutentag@sun.com>
>>>    Cc: Jon.Bosak@sun.com, karl.best@oasis-open.org, hlockhar@bea.com,
>>>        chairs@lists.oasis-open.org
>>>
>>>    Seems like I said something that was open to misinterpretation. So,
>>>    just in case, I'd like to clarify that my comment, "What I would like
>>>    to see is for the Kavi process to follow the OASIS TC process and not
>>>    the other way around..." was not meant in any way to disparage the
>>>    participation of observers in the mailing lists. What I did mean,
>>>    though, was that I did not think it was appropriate to munge TC
>>>    participation with mailing list participation; that until very
>>>    recently there was no language separating the two, and those who
>>>    wanted to monitor the lists were invited to join the TCs, thus
>>>    potentially inflating the ranks of the quorum-busters ;). When a
>>>    chair goes to the Add a member section of the roster maintenance
>>>    page, the chair is still told that someone can be added as a member
>>>    of the TC because he/she has qualified according to the rules, which
>>>    is false, and that some ballots may allow only members with voting
>>>    privileges to vote, which is also false, because according to the
> [...]

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS
office  +1 978.667.5115 x206     mobile +1 978.761.1648
karl.best@oasis-open.org      http://www.oasis-open.org