Subject: RE: [chairs] public comment web form

Rich framed the question much better than I. Dropping active public
comment lists appears to be a step down in openness. That's generally
not a good thing. Are there particular reasons driving the change?

=Drummond
XRI TC Chair

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Thompson [mailto:richt2@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 3:12 PM
To: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org

So if I understand the design:
 - There will no longer be a -comment email list one can subscribe to
 - There will be a web form for submitting comments
 - These comments will be emailed to the chair and appended to a
publically accessible archive

This maintains accountability, but is a drop on the openness front.
Still accountable because anyone can go search the -comment archive, but
less open as many fewer will do that than who subscribe to the -comment
lists today.

I guess I would back up and question why it is a problem for the public
email list to be a discussion forum. Have there been instances where
this was distractive to the work of the TC or perhaps used
inappropriately by some members of the public? Other reasons driving the
change?

Rich Thompson
OASIS WSRP TC Chair

"Karl F. Best" <karl.best@oasis-open.org>