Subject: Re: [chairs] Individual members representation?

Interesting ideas, but more in the assumptions they reveal than
in their reflections of reality.

Board members are elected as individuals, not as representatives
of companies. At least that's how theoretically things should
be. I'm not sure, of course, whether that's the reality or not,
(how many voted for me as myself or as an employee of Sun?)
but we Board members are supposed to think in terms of OASIS's
interests *above everything else* when functioning as such.

Because Board members are elected as individuals, there is in
fact no constraints on whether a BoD member is a company
employee or an individual member, so if any individual member
wants to run for BoD membership, go ahead. In fact, BoD members
don't even have to be OASIS members.

As to "reports back from the board", below: are you implying
that company members receive reports back from the board? If
so, you're mistaken. If you want to receive reports from the
Board, you can read, like anybody else, the Board minutes.

Also, how any of your proposals would help towards working
better with ISO et al. is a mystery to me.

--
Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo.gutentag@Sun.COM
Web Technologies and Standards |         Phone:  +1 510 550 4616 x31442