Subject: Re: [chairs] your input on OASIS functionality enhancements

/ "Karl F. Best" <karl.best@oasis-open.org> was heard to say:
| Last spring we rolled out the new collaborative tools from Kavi,
| including membership roster management, balloting, email lists,
| document repository, action items, etc.

I remain utterly unimpressed. I will not go so far as to say that I
think the new system is an unmitigated disaster, but it is, IMHO, just
barely usable.

The system is awkward, the website is cumbersome, and I think it has
made the OASIS site less useful not only to TC members but also to the
general public.

 * There are parts chairs can't edit
 * The list of documents presented to the public is still a flat
   list lacking the hierarchy created by the chair or secretary
 * There's no provision for navigation within the pages of the
   of a single TC.

As I have said before, the most significant bug is that it is
impossible to publish documents with predictable URIs. I consider the
site unusable for publishing important documents until this bug is
fixed. (It works fine for meeting minutes and other things, but I
cannot reliably publish specifications, schemas, or other documents
that have internal URI references.)

For example, I just published a working draft of the XML Catalogs
specification for the Entity Resolution TC. The HTML version of that
specification includes URIs for the original XML sources and a PDF
version of the document.

While I can upload all three documents,I cannot make the links work
because I cannot predict what the URI for the XML or PDF versions will
be when I am generating the HTML.

And while we're talking about URIs, the URIs that Kavi creates really
suck:

  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/4952/wd-entity-xml-catalogs-1.0_2e.html

Granted, URIs are technically opaque, but that URI doesn't even give
me a hint about what committee created it.

I'd happily go back to the days when I could have published:

  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/specs/wd-entity-xml-catalogs-1.0_2e.html

Nevermind functionality *enhancements*, the system still has an
absolutely critical flaws.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm