Subject: Re: [chairs] latest draft of doc mgmt system requirements

By "command line interface" I mean the native CVS interface (if that's
the platform that we decide to build on). We intend to build a web
browser interface that most people would probably use, but there's a
number of "power users" that would prefer the native interface.

The conversion is planned as functionality to be added later. The idea
is that when you upload a file you could specify to convert it to PDF as
part of the operation rather than you having to do this yourself. Either
way, if there are both (e.g.) .doc and .pdf versions of the same file
we'll have to have some way of linking them so that the repository knows
that they belong together.

-Karl

Breininger, Kathryn R wrote:
> Karl,
> Instead of "command line interface" do you mean something like an
> "simple search" which would allow searching on keywords and also some
> small subset of the metadata.  An advanced search feature is frequently
> developed for power users, and allows searching on all or nearly all
> metadata, Boolean searching, ranging, ranking, etc. and is usually part
> of the web-based user interface, but may appear on a separate search
> page, as the search form will be more complex.
>
> I may be misreading this, but it is there some confusion between these
> statements under "Multiple file types supported":
> "TCs must be able to store both source (e.g. MSWord, XML, or HTML)
> and compiled (e.g. PDF) versions of each file. The repository should
> have some means to connect two different files (e.g. foo3.htm and
> foo3.pdf are different representations of the same file); the user can
> upload and associate all formats in a single operation. "
> and the last statement:
> "* Publishing (convert to PDF or HTML) upon checkin"
> The first two statements seem to indicate the TC is uploading multiple
> format versions (which could create version problems) while the last two
> statements (in italics) seem to indicate that one file is uploaded, and
> then it is converted by the system to multiple formats.  I would think
> the preference would be for the later - upload one file, and let the
> system convert it and provide access to each available format.
>
> Kathryn Breininger
> OASIS ebXML Registry TC Chair

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS
office  +1 978.667.5115 x206     mobile +1 978.761.1648
karl.best@oasis-open.org      http://www.oasis-open.org