Subject: RE: [chairs] latest draft of doc mgmt system requirements

Title: Re: [chairs] latest draft of doc mgmt system requirements
What about those TCs which are working on material that has IPR issues attached?
-----Original Message-----
From: Eduardo Gutentag [mailto:Eduardo.Gutentag@Sun.COM]
Sent: Tue 02-Mar-04 11:06
To: karl.best@oasis-open.org
Cc: Chairs OASIS; jeff.lomas@oasis-open.org

All,

I just noticed this:

 > First Phase
 > --------------
[...]
 > * Documents viewable only to TC members. Access control based on Kavi
 > database; only TC members (and SysAdmin) may access this area

Where is the motivation for such a statement coming from? This kind of
TC secrecy totally contradicts the open spirit of OASIS. Why do we need
this? Why not work in the open? What are we trying to hide? What are TCs
trying to hide? How are TCs going to get input from others if the others
can't see what the TCs are doing? What if a TC does not get to phase 2 ever?
Will its Phase 1 documents be forever closed to study?

I think this would be a disservice to OASIS members, and should not be carried
out. One of the things that has distinguished OASIS from other organizations
over the years has been its openness and lack of secrecy. This distinction is
on the verge of disappearance, and this would be just one more nail in its
coffin.

The argument that people are stupid (generally expressed as "we don't want to
confuse people who are not in the TC, who would perhaps think that something
is finished or complete when it is just random thoughts") is unworthy of us.

Thanks.

--
Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo.gutentag@Sun.COM
Web Technologies and Standards |         Phone:  +1 510 550 4616 x31442