Subject: RE: [chairs] latest draft of doc mgmt system requirements

I support public access at stage 2) and 3) but would very much want to see a
sandbox not open to the public at stage 1) *if* the authors would like to
restrict access to a given document; the default of course should be for the
sandbox to be open to the public. The rationale for allowing closed access
is to encourage authors to share their views as expressed in documents they
author with the TC as early as possible; doing so allows the TC to engage
early on with the authors. Otherwise authors concerned about putting out
not-ready-for-prime-time documents will be compelled to carry out their work
over private email which results in the TC missing out on much of the
thought process and opportunities to influence the work.

The UDDI Spec TC is currently working out v.Next requirements. Due to
current Kavi restrictions, private mail is used in collaborative efforts.
Having a sandbox would help multi-author collaborative efforts; having the
ability to restrict access to the public to work-in-progress documents would
allow the TC to comment on documents that authors may not be willing to
offer to the TC's public mail list but would gladly share with the rest of
the TC.

It is my view that allowing for the flexibility of restricting public access
to specific document will serve community and OASIS interests best.

Luc Clément
Secretary, OASIS UDDI Spec TC