Subject: Specification Namespaces? Standard XML Schema Validation Service

Hi Jamie, Karl, fellow chairs,

I just reviewed the TC Process and TC Guide and discovered that there
is now no mention of OASIS providing a namespace for standards and
specifications. I do not recall seeing in the brief notes about
previous changes to the TC Process that this was removed. I admit I
probably just missed it, but since I have followed the chairs
discussion about document management and the document repository, and
I have also made an effort to follow TC Process changes when I
haven't been completely swamped with work, I am surprised I did not
notice mention of this during the explorations of the document
repostory question or in the TC Process changes.

Have namespaces been rolled into the new Standards Registry
Repository? I mention this because it has always seemed like an
obvious solution, and I assumed such would be the case eventually,
making the URN for OASIS with a specific namespace location in the
either the TC's document repository or the standards repository
(which I would reserve for a family of specs such as legalXML,
TopicMaps, ebXML, etc.)

The reason I am asking is that a namespace is required to validate a
schema, which brings me to the last part of this message.

Can we establish a standard validation service for all OASIS
specification schemata, and require validation using this validation
service for a Committee Draft (or Committee Specification if we
change it back to that formulation to avoid confusion) and for
Submission of a Committee Draft to OASIS for approval of a candidate
standard?

I have several reasons for asking these questions, like all of the
TCs in which I actively participate and all of the TCs and SCs in
which I am an observer.

Ciao,
Rex
--