Subject: Re: [chairs] Specification Namespaces? Standard XML Schema ValidationService

Rex:

To the best of my knowledge the provision of a namespace has never been
part of the OASIS TC Process or any of our policies, so I'm puzzled why
you would assert that this was once there and is now gone. Or perhaps
I'm misreading what you said.

We do have an assigned namespace, as defined at
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3121.txt but have no mechanism for
enforcing this.

We have included provision for persistent URLs in the requirements for
the doc management system that we are building; I'm not sure yet when
that part of the functionality will be available. We've also talked
about including some sort of validity checking upon checkin, but that
would probably be future functionality.

-Karl

Rex Brooks wrote:
> Hi Jamie, Karl, fellow chairs,
>
> I just reviewed the TC Process and TC Guide and discovered that there is
> now no mention of OASIS providing a namespace for standards and
> specifications. I do not recall seeing in the brief notes about previous
> changes to the TC Process that this was removed. I admit I probably just
> missed it, but since I have followed the chairs discussion about
> document management and the document repository, and I have also made an
> effort to follow TC Process changes when I haven't been completely
> swamped with work, I am surprised I did not notice mention of this
> during the explorations of the document repostory question or in the TC
> Process changes.
>
> Have namespaces been rolled into the new Standards Registry Repository?
> I mention this because it has always seemed like an obvious solution,
> and I assumed such would be the case eventually, making the URN for
> OASIS with a specific namespace location in the either the TC's document
> repository or the standards repository (which I would reserve for a
> family of specs such as legalXML, TopicMaps, ebXML, etc.)
>
> The reason I am asking is that a namespace is required to validate a
> schema, which brings me to the last part of this message.
>
> Can we establish a standard validation service for all OASIS
> specification schemata, and require validation using this validation
> service for a Committee Draft (or Committee Specification if we change
> it back to that formulation to avoid confusion) and for Submission of a
> Committee Draft to OASIS for approval of a candidate standard?
>
> I have several reasons for asking these questions, like all of the TCs
> in which I actively participate and all of the TCs and SCs in which I am
> an observer.
>
> Ciao,
> Rex

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS
office  +1 978.667.5115 x206     mobile +1 978.761.1648
karl.best@oasis-open.org      http://www.oasis-open.org