Subject: Re: [chairs] SPAM

Yeah, we thought about something like that, i.e. replacement of the
address with some sort of code. But in order to be effective it must be
costly (i.e. impossible for a machine, requires a human) to re-convert
large quantities of addresses, but simple for a human to re-convert a
single address.

 From the first Slashdot example, at least, it would be simple for a
human to look at the address and create a simple rule for how to
recreate the original.

-Karl

p.s. <chuckle> the rotating banner at the top of the Slashdot page when
I viewed it was an O'Reilly ad for a book on creating spiders and
bots... </>

Eve L. Maler wrote:
> Why not just use a mechanistic, but variable, means of disguising the
> email address the way Slashdot does?  An example appears here:
>
>   http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=103884&cid=8848779
>
> The email link shows up as:
>
>   mailto:heironymouscoward%40yah%5B%20%5Dcom%20%5B'oo.'%20in%20gap%5D
>
> A human can decode this as necessary, but a machine has a much tougher
> time.  Here's another:
>
>   http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=103883&cid=8848358
>
> The email link shows up as:
>
>   mailto:dgorman%40nosPaM.arete.cc
>
> Etc.  I believe the engine behind Slashdot is open-source, so maybe that
> (or part of it, anyway) can be used.  Though I wonder about its
> effectiveness if a spammer can locate all the disguise techniques in a
> file somewhere...
>
>     Eve
>
> Karl F. Best wrote:
>
>> Chairs:
>>
>> I'll open another can of worms and jump into this :-)
>>
>> I agree with you wholeheartedly, Duane, that this is a problem. I'll
>> bet that I get more spam than you do (few hundred a day). And I have
>> no doubt that all this is because of spammers harvesting addresses
>> from our list archives.
>>
>> Of course a knee-jerk reaction would be to close off the archives so
>> that nobody can get to them, but given that the OASIS philosophy is
>> openness and accountability we need to keep things open and accessible.
>>
>> There seems to be two possible solutions: either disguise the
>> addresses stored in the archives, or to somehow block access so that
>> only a human can get through. (I don't think that we want to go down
>> the path of an offensive strategy such as what Duane suggests.)
>>
>> Lacking a foolproof Turing test to allow only human access to the
>> archives, I think the best and easiest solution will probably be to
>> disguise the email addresses attached to each message so that whatever
>> is harvested in unusable by spammers. The disguise would have to be
>> such that the harvester would not be able to accurately or easily
>> recreate the address. Obviously substituting the word "at" for the @
>> sign isn't going to fool anybody for very long. But whatever we do may
>> not disguise the actual identity of the sender; we need to know who
>> sent the message.
>>
>> A final question is whether it is necessary for a person to be able to
>> respond to a message he found in the archives; i.e. does the guy on
>> the street need to be able to figure out how to respond to Duane when
>> he reads something thet Duane wrote? Perhaps this requirement is not
>> so important, as TC members already know how to respond to the TC
>> list, and the guy on the street is already given instructions for
>> sending a comment to the TC.
>>
>> If the above is acceptable then perhaps I could suggest (and please
>> note, this is just a strawman for discussion, not an official OASIS
>> proposal) that we delete some portion of the address after the @ sign.
> [...]

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS
office  +1 978.667.5115 x206     mobile +1 978.761.1648
karl.best@oasis-open.org      http://www.oasis-open.org