Subject: RE: [chairs] SPAM

+1

I suggest that we at least adopt some form of obfuscation that makes it
more
difficult for spammers to harvest email addresses. This is pretty common
practice
and despite what Eduardo suggests, does not make the OASIS archives or
process
any less open, IMO.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
blog: http://webpages.charter.net/chrisfer/blog.html
phone: +1 508 377 9295

"Philpott, Robert" <rphilpott@rsasecurity.com> wrote on 04/13/2004
03:51:54 PM:

> I'll counter Eduardo's point a little bit.  I for one do know that my
work
> email address being posted in the OASIS archives has directly resulted
in it
> being harvested and placed in the spam lists.
>
> But I use a decent client spam filter and it's not quite so bothersome
any
> more.
>
> However, there is one point I want to make re: openness and spam.  I
know a
> number of individuals that absolutely will not post to the OASIS lists
> because once they do, their email address is likely to end up on the
> spammers lists.  So here is a case where the policy of not obfuscating
or
> hiding email addresses hinders the openness we all desire.  We miss out
on
> debate from those individuals who force themselves to just lurk.
>
> I personally don't care about this issue - as I said - I've got a decent
> spam filter.  But I thought I'd raise this other viewpoint.
>
> Now stand away from that fire Eduardo...
>
> Rob Philpott
> Senior Consulting Engineer
> RSA Security Inc.
> Tel: 781-515-7115
> Mobile: 617-510-0893
> Fax: 781-515-7020

First
> > of all, there
> > is no evidence that the spam received by Duane (who started this
thread)
> > can or should be
> > blamed on OASIS archives. It's anecdotal. It's unprovable. In my
> > particular anecdotal case
> > I don't believe I've experienced an increase in spam due to activities
in
> > OASIS. 70% of the
> > spam directed at me goes to eduardo@eng.sun.com, which is an address I
> > have neither used
> > nor signed with for years and years. It nevertheless exists somewhere
in
> > the Internet; I
> > don't know where and I don't care. I just filter it out and inspect
every
> > so often. Because
> > that's one of the points at which one should fight spam: at the client
> > level. Get yourself
> > an intelligent, spam aware client or filtering mechanism and smile.
Don't

eduardo.gutentag@Sun.COM