Subject: RE: [Fwd: RE: [chairs] need more input for DocMgmt system]

Subversion is an interesting protocol/spec because it relies on HTTP and some HTTP extensions.

Thus, to *browse* a subversion repository (very basic browsing functionality), all you need is a plain old HTTP browser. Pretty nifty. The other functions (update, commit, etc) are done a subversion protocol (which I think is built on HTTP DAV).

So, the client applet wouldn't strictly be neccesary for subversion, at least for most users. And there are a *number* of clients for subversion out there (thanks to subversion being built mostly on already-existing standards). I do believe a client is neccesary for modifying the contents of a repository though (ie committing changes, etc).

But I'm not clear that Karl was referring to a client applet for subversion, or for something else.

	-Gabe

gwachob@visa.com
Chief Systems Architect
Technology Strategies and Standards
Visa International
Phone: +1.650.432.3696   Fax: +1.650.554.6817

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Mattocks [mailto:carlmattocks@checkmi.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 12:59 PM
To: karl.best@oasis-open.org
Cc: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org

+ 1 on this.
As soon as I realized it required a client download I had to abort plans
to start testing on the machine I was using (at a customer's site) ... and
then life got in the way .

<quote who="Wachob, Gabe">
> With subversion (or, for that matter, cvs), I'd also be concerned about
access to these systems through corporate firewalls which require HTTP
access through proxies. While I believe subversion *should* work through
an HTTP proxy, I'd be interested in knowing whether it actually *does*
work through a majority of firewalls of TC members...

> I'd strongly lean against requiring a client applet for access to the
doc mgmt system as there are a variety of corporate policies in this
world which limit client software to one degree or another.

> 	-Gabe

> gwachob@visa.com
> Chief Systems Architect
> Technology Strategies and Standards
> Visa International

without much result, so anyone who is interested in taking a look at
this please let me know.

> There's a couple of specific questions that we need the answer to before
we can proceed much further with development. Just to review, we've
tentatively decided on Subversion (SVN) as the platform upon which we
will build our doc mgmt system. But there's some additional
> functionality that we need to build on top. As much of this
> functionality would reside in the client, we need to decide how to build
this.

> So... specific questions:
>
> 1. What proportion of the users of the doc mgmt system (TC members,
editors, chairs, etc.) will be using non-Windows clients, and what kind?
(Mac, Linux, etc.)

> 2. For Windows users, what proportion of users *do not* have the
ability/permission to install a plugin client on their computers? (Some
company IT policies don't allow this.)

> Based on the answers to the above, our developing a multi-platform
client applet may be the best solution, but this would also cost more
resources to do. There's an existing open source plugin that we could
start with, but it's Windows only and we don't know if everyone has the
option of using it.

> thanks for your input.
> -Karl
>
> ================================================================Karl F.
Best

--
Carl Mattocks

co-Chair OASIS (ISO/TS 15000) ebXMLRegistry Semantic Content SC
co-Chair OASIS Business Centric Methodology TC
CEO CHECKMi
v/f (usa) 908 322 8715
www.CHECKMi.com
Semantically Smart Compendiums